Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Birds

I shall record birds seen on or close by the Battlefield Open Space site from time to time. I am afraid I shall be using the pre-PC nomenclature for English vernacular names.


Recent weather has been colder with some frost overnight and low cloud with frequent rain, often for long spells.

28.12.07. A flock of Redwings Turdus musicus flitted nervously from high tree top to tree top. About 20-25 in all, splitting and joining up again.

02.01.08. Just above the steps down the Ouseburn bank on the south side, a Kestrel Falco tinnunculus was 'pouncing' from low perches on trees alongside the pathway. At first I thought it might be a Mistle Thrush Turdus viscivorus from its behaviour standing upright on the path. Mistle Thrushes have been singing in this area for a month.

Near Warwick Street junction with Grantham Road I found Siskin Carduelis spinus searching amongst leaf litter at my feet. A stand of small trees overhanging the roadway include Alder Alnus glutinosa , a favourite source of seed for this tiny and engaging species. I saw at least two individuals.

No comments: